A comparison of ocular development of the Cynomolgus monkey and man
Kiely, Patricia M., Gillard-Crewther, Sheila, Nathan, John, Brennan, Noel A., Efron, Nathan, & Madigan, Michele (1987) A comparison of ocular development of the Cynomolgus monkey and man. Clinical Vision Sciences, 1(3), pp. 269-280.
Summary – 1. We set out to compare the ocular development of human and monkey.
2. Regular periodic measurements of refractive error, central corneal curvature and axial length were made on 30 eyes of 15 young cynomologus monkeys Macaca fascicularis aged between 15 weeks and 3 years.
3. Measurements were also made on 16 eyes of 13 adolescent and adult monkeys aged between 3 and 12 years.
4. Comparison of the growth of the eyes of monkeys and humans supports the view that 1 year in a monkey’s life is equivalent to about 3 years for a human and that this relationship is maintained during the developmental years.
5. The relative contributions of axial length components to the total axial length and the relationship between the refractive components of the eye are similar for monkeys and humans.
6. These results suggest that the monkey eye should serve as an excellent model for that of the human in studies of growth of the eye.
Citation countsare sourced monthly fromand citation databases.
These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science generally from 1980 onwards.
Citations counts from theindexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.
|Item Type:||Journal Article|
|Additional Information:||For more information, please refer to the journal's website (see hypertext link) or contact the author.|
|Keywords:||Monkeys, man, axial length, corneal curvature, refractive error, ocular growth|
|Subjects:||Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > OPTOMETRY AND OPHTHALMOLOGY (111300)|
Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > OPTOMETRY AND OPHTHALMOLOGY (111300) > Optometry and Ophthalmology not elsewhere classified (111399)
|Divisions:||Current > Research Centres > Centre for Health Research|
Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Faculty of Health
Current > Institutes > Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation
|Copyright Owner:||Copyright 1987 Elsevier|
|Deposited On:||27 Nov 2007|
|Last Modified:||10 Aug 2011 23:21|
Repository Staff Only: item control page