Early and middle years of schooling
Pendergast, Donna, Chadbourne, Rod, & Danby, Susan J. (2008) Early and middle years of schooling. In Ashman, Adrian & Elkins, John (Eds.) Education for Inclusion and Diversity. Pearson Education Australia, Frenchs Forest, NSW, pp. 271-304.
From P-12, students move through a series of developmental phases: early childhood, middle childhood, early adolescence, and late adolescence/young adulthood. This chapter focuses on inclusion for students at the phase of early adolescence because significant education changes have occurred recently in schools catering for those students. Early adolescent education takes place in the middle years of schooling, usually Years 6-9. For the purpose of this chapter, 'students with special support needs' refers to young adolescents who, in earlier times, were excluded from regular or general classrooms and sent to separate and specialist schools, centres and units.
In this chapter you will learn about:
- recent reforms in the middle years of schooling.
- how inclusion for young adolescents may be more challenging than inclusion for other phases of learning.
- how small middle school communities promote inclusion for young adolescents.
- strategies teachers can use to build and maintain community in middle schools.
- factors that influence the success of middle years teachers working with young adolescents in inclusive schools.
- practical measures teachers can take, in light of these factors, to promote the success of inclusion.
- whether inclusive teaching in middle schools is generic or young adolescent-specific.
- the different responses to inclusion by young adolescents, how teachers can identify those responses and what they can do to ensure they are.
Impact and interest:
Citation countsare sourced monthly fromand citation databases.
These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science® generally from 1980 onwards.
Citations counts from theindexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.
|Item Type:||Book Chapter|
|Additional Information:||For more information about this book please refer to the publisher's website (see link) or contact the author.|
|Keywords:||early childhood education, middle years, early years, diversity, inclusion, young adolescents, teacher strategies|
|Subjects:||Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > EDUCATION (130000) > SPECIALIST STUDIES IN EDUCATION (130300) > Special Education and Disability (130312)|
Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > EDUCATION (130000) > SPECIALIST STUDIES IN EDUCATION (130300) > Special Education and Disability (130312)
|Divisions:||Current > Research Centres > Office of Education Research|
Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Faculty of Education
|Copyright Owner:||Copyright 2008 Pearson Education Australia|
|Deposited On:||08 Sep 2008|
|Last Modified:||03 Mar 2011 15:37|
Repository Staff Only: item control page