New media : an introduction (3rd edition)
Flew, Terry (2008) New media : an introduction (3rd edition). Oxford University Press, Melbourne.
This book combines a comprehensive overview of theories of new media with contemporary case studies. Based on an historic understanding of new media developments, the book explores the role of new media in a globally networked society. It examines the social, political and economic impact of new technologies on creativity industry and culture from a cross-disciplinary perspective.
Features of the book include
• Chapters on Social Networking Media, Participatory Media Cultures and Citizen Journalism
• Overview of key concepts in new media studies
• New local and global case studies include YouTube, political blogs, online journalism, digital copyright, the global Internet, Asian creative industries and online gaming
• Balancing local content and context with a global perspective
• Evaluating the significance of Web 2.0 and user-led innovation
• Interviews with key new media players such as Vinton Cerf provide insight into the practicalities of working in the new media environment
Citation countsare sourced monthly fromand citation databases.
These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science generally from 1980 onwards.
Citations counts from theindexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.
|Additional Information:||This is the third volume of this text. Previous volumes were published by OUP in 2002 and 2005.|
|Keywords:||media, new media, Internet, digital media, communications technology, social networks, games, participatory media culture, citizen journalism|
|Subjects:||Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > LANGUAGES COMMUNICATION AND CULTURE (200000) > COMMUNICATION AND MEDIA STUDIES (200100) > Communication Technology and Digital Media Studies (200102)|
|Divisions:||Current > Research Centres > ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation|
Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Creative Industries Faculty
Current > Schools > Journalism, Media & Communication
|Copyright Owner:||Copyright 2008 Oxford University Press|
|Deposited On:||03 Apr 2009 10:41|
|Last Modified:||29 Feb 2012 23:45|
Repository Staff Only: item control page