Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders
Elder, Ruth L. (2005) Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders. In Elder, Ruth, Evans, Katie, & Nizette, Debra (Eds.) Psychiatric and mental health nursing. Elsevier, Marrickville, N.S.W., pp. 324-340.
|PDF (182Kb) |
• The somatoform disorders are psychiatric illnesses that present as physical disorders.
• The somatoform disorders are not to be confused with malingering which is the intentional production of symptoms to avoid some responsibility or duty.
• Somatization is a method of expressing anxiety and distress and is to be found in all cultural groups.
• The distress and suffering experienced by clients with a somatoform disorder is real, although the medical basis for their symptoms is not.
• Clients with a somatoform disorder are most frequently encountered in general health settings.
• The dissociative disorders are marked by an abrupt, but temporary change in consciousness, cognition, memory, identity or behaviour.
Citation countsare sourced monthly fromand citation databases.
These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science generally from 1980 onwards.
Citations counts from theindexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.
|Item Type:||Book Chapter|
|Additional Information:||For more information about this book please refer to the publisher's website (see link) or contact the author . Author contact details : r.elder @qut.edu.au|
|Keywords:||Amnesia, Conversion, Depersonalization, Derealization, Dissociation, Fugue, Hypochondriasis, Hysteria, La belle indifference, Malingering, Neurosis, Primary Gain, Reassurance, Secondary Gain, Somatization|
|Subjects:||Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > NURSING (111000) > Mental Health Nursing (111005)|
Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > NURSING (111000)
|Divisions:||Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Faculty of Health|
|Copyright Owner:||Copyright 2005 Elsevier|
|Deposited On:||07 Nov 2005|
|Last Modified:||03 Mar 2011 15:33|
Repository Staff Only: item control page