Student success : the identification and support of first year university students at risk of attrition

Nelson, Karen J., Duncan, Margot E., & Clarke, John A. (2009) Student success : the identification and support of first year university students at risk of attrition. Studies in Learning, Evaluation, Innovation and Development, 6(1), pp. 1-15.

View at publisher


The engagement behaviour of 1,524 student-enrolments (“students”) in five first year units was monitored and 608 (39.9%) were classified as “at risk” using the criterion of not submitting or failing their first assignment. Of these, 327 (53.8%) were successfully contacted (i.e., spoken to by phone) and provided with advice and/or referral to learning and personal support services while the remaining 281 (46.2%) could not be contacted. Nine hundred and sixteen students (60.1%) were classified as “not at risk.” Overall, the at risk group who were contacted achieved significantly higher end-of-semester final grades than, and persisted (completed the unit) at more than twice the rate of, the at risk group who were not contacted. There were variations among the units which were explained by the timing of the first assignment, specific teaching-learning processes and the structure of the curriculum. Implications for curriculum design and supporting first year students within a personal, social and academic framework are discussed.

Impact and interest:

Search Google Scholar™

Citation counts are sourced monthly from Scopus and Web of Science® citation databases.

These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science® generally from 1980 onwards.

Citations counts from the Google Scholar™ indexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.

Full-text downloads:

2,182 since deposited on 20 Oct 2009
273 in the past twelve months

Full-text downloads displays the total number of times this work’s files (e.g., a PDF) have been downloaded from QUT ePrints as well as the number of downloads in the previous 365 days. The count includes downloads for all files if a work has more than one.

ID Code: 28064
Item Type: Journal Article
Refereed: Yes
Keywords: first year experience, attrition, intervention, contact management system, curriculum design, HERN
ISSN: 1832-2050
Subjects: Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > EDUCATION (130000) > EDUCATION SYSTEMS (130100) > Higher Education (130103)
Divisions: Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Chancellery
Copyright Owner: Copyright 2009 the authors.
Deposited On: 20 Oct 2009 04:51
Last Modified: 29 Feb 2012 14:10

Export: EndNote | Dublin Core | BibTeX

Repository Staff Only: item control page