Somatoform and dissociative disorders
Elder, Ruth (2009) Somatoform and dissociative disorders. In Elder, Ruth, Evans, Katie, & Nizette, Deb (Eds.) Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. Mosby Elsevier, Sydney, Australia, pp. 370-387.
|Accepted Version (PDF 200kB) |
Administrators only | Request a copy from author
• The somatoform disorders are psychiatric illnesses that present as physical disorders.
• The somatoform disorders are not to be confused with malingering, which is the intentional production of symptoms to avoid some responsibility or duty.
• Somatisation is a method of expressing anxiety and distress and is found in all cultural groups.
• The distress and suffering experienced by clients with a somatoform disorder are real, although the medical basis for their symptoms is not.
• Clients with a somatoform disorder are most frequently encountered in primary health care settings.
• The dissociative disorders are marked by an abrupt, temporary change in consciousness, cognition, memory, identity or behaviour.
Citation countsare sourced monthly fromand citation databases.
These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science® generally from 1980 onwards.
Citations counts from theindexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.
|Item Type:||Book Chapter|
|Keywords:||Somatoform disorders, Dissociative disorders|
|Subjects:||Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > NURSING (111000) > Mental Health Nursing (111005)|
|Divisions:||Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Faculty of Health|
Current > Schools > School of Nursing
|Copyright Owner:||Copyright 2009 Please consult the author.|
|Deposited On:||29 Mar 2010 15:38|
|Last Modified:||10 Jun 2010 00:25|
Repository Staff Only: item control page