Dietetic confidence working with clients with depression/anxiety is associated with client-focused practic and advocacy skills

Dowding, Kerryn, Ash, Susan, & Shakespeare-Finch, Jane E. (2012) Dietetic confidence working with clients with depression/anxiety is associated with client-focused practic and advocacy skills. Nutrition and Dietetics, 69(Supp 1), p. 42.

View at publisher

Abstract

Confidence in a professional role is a key element in the successful transition to competent practice. New graduate dietitians report that whilst they are confident about their general dietetic ability, they are not as confident when working with clients experiencing depression and anxiety. This study aimed to develop and validate a scale which measured confidence about working with clients with depression/anxiety. The 21-item Dietetics Collaborative Practice Scale was developed using research about dietetic practice in mental health, coping self-efficacy literature and collaboration with industry experts. A convenience sample of 189 Australian dietitians completed the questionnaire. Exploratory factor analysis suggests that dietetic confidence is best represented by a two dimensional solution consisting of (a) Client –focused practice (CFP, 50.8% variance) and (b) Advocacy for self and client care (ASC, 9.7% variance). The alpha coefficient of both dimensions (CFP ɑ=0.95, ASC ɑ=0.84) demonstrated the internal consistency of components. Combined, these two components account for 60.5% of variance. The scale components were not related to years of practice or working with mental health clients but were significantly related to overall dietetic confidence (ODC). Correlation coefficients between ODC and CFP were 0.501 (p<0.01), ODC and ASC were correlated at 0.465 (p<0.01) and CFP and number of years as a dietitian were weakly correlated at 0.24 (p<0.05). Results have implications for dietetic training and professional development. Client focus and advocacy for self and client appear to be important factors in overall confidence as a dietitian.

Impact and interest:

Citation counts are sourced monthly from Scopus and Web of Science® citation databases.

These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science® generally from 1980 onwards.

Citations counts from the Google Scholar™ indexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.

Full-text downloads:

38 since deposited on 12 Dec 2012
1 in the past twelve months

Full-text downloads displays the total number of times this work’s files (e.g., a PDF) have been downloaded from QUT ePrints as well as the number of downloads in the previous 365 days. The count includes downloads for all files if a work has more than one.

ID Code: 55523
Item Type: Journal Article
Refereed: Yes
Additional URLs:
DOI: 10.1111/j.1747-0080.2012.01610_2.x
ISSN: 1747-0080 (online) 1446-6368 (print)
Subjects: Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > NUTRITION AND DIETETICS (111100)
Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > PUBLIC HEALTH AND HEALTH SERVICES (111700) > Mental Health (111714)
Divisions: Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Faculty of Health
Current > Institutes > Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation
Current > Schools > School of Exercise & Nutrition Sciences
Current > Schools > School of Psychology & Counselling
Copyright Owner: Copyright 2012 Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Asia
Deposited On: 12 Dec 2012 00:52
Last Modified: 17 Feb 2017 06:53

Export: EndNote | Dublin Core | BibTeX

Repository Staff Only: item control page