What areas of of the visual field are important for mobility in low vision patients
Lovie-Kitchin, Jan E., Mainstone, Julia C., Robinson, J., & Brown, Brian (1990) What areas of of the visual field are important for mobility in low vision patients. Clinical Vision Sciences, 5(3), pp. 249-263.
1. The relationship between binocular visual field size and orientation and mobility performance was examined for nine low vision patients and nine age-matched normals.
2. Mobility performance was determined by measuring time taken and number of errors made by subjects on an indoor course.
3. Mobility performance is significantly influenced by the total visual field extent, such that the smaller the solid angle subtended by the total field at the eye, the poorer is the mobility performance.
4. The relationship between visual field and mobility performance varies across the binocular field. The central 37 deg radius zone and right, left and inferior mid-peripheral areas appear to be the most important for mobility.
5. The time taken to traverse the course and the number of errors made are both good predictors of mobility performance, although number of errors correlates more highly with visual field extent.
6. Horizontal objects at head height and large objects on, or suspended just above, the floor are those most likely to present difficulties to low vision patients.
Citation countsare sourced monthly fromand citation databases.
These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science® generally from 1980 onwards.
Citations counts from theindexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.
|Item Type:||Journal Article|
|Additional Information:||For more information, please contact the author. Author contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Keywords:||visual fields, orientation, mobility, low vision|
|Subjects:||Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > OPTOMETRY AND OPHTHALMOLOGY (111300)|
|Divisions:||Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Faculty of Health|
Current > Institutes > Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation
|Copyright Owner:||Copyright 1990 Elsevier|
|Deposited On:||01 Dec 2006|
|Last Modified:||15 Jan 2009 17:16|
Repository Staff Only: item control page