A game theoretical approach to construction safety in the Repair, Maintenance, Alteration and Addition (RMAA) sector

Hon, Carol K.H. & Chan, Albert P.C. (2010) A game theoretical approach to construction safety in the Repair, Maintenance, Alteration and Addition (RMAA) sector. In Liu, Qian, Cathy, Ou, Yang, Yang, Qu, Minglu, Lulu, Sun, Ke, Daniel, Tang, Liyaning, Maggie, Tao, Li, Lisa, et al. (Eds.) Proceedings of the Second International Postgraduate Conference of Infrastructure and Environment, Faculty of Construction and Land Use, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China, pp. 164-171.

View at publisher


Safety has long been a problem in the construction industry. Repair, maintenance, alteration and addition (RMAA) sector has emerged to play an important role in the construction industry. It accounted for 53% of the total construction market in Hong Kong in 2007. Safety performance of the RMAA words has been alarming. Statistics indicate that the percentage of fatal industrial accidents arising from RMAA work in Hong Kong was over 56% in 2006 while the remaining 44% was from new works. Effective safety measures to address the safety problems and improve safety performance of the RMAA sector are urgently needed. Unsafe behaviour has been attributed to one of the major causes of accidents. Traditional cost-benefit analysis of workers' safety behaviour seems to be inadequate. This paper proposes to adopt a game theoretical approach to analyse safety behaviour of RMAA workers. Game theory is concerned with the decision-making process in situations where outcomes depend upon choices made by one or more players. A game theoretical model between contractor and worker has been proffered. Mathematical analysis of this game model has been done and implications of the analysis have been discussed.

Impact and interest:

1 citations in Scopus
Search Google Scholar™

Citation counts are sourced monthly from Scopus and Web of Science® citation databases.

These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science® generally from 1980 onwards.

Citations counts from the Google Scholar™ indexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.

Full-text downloads:

38 since deposited on 28 Apr 2014
9 in the past twelve months

Full-text downloads displays the total number of times this work’s files (e.g., a PDF) have been downloaded from QUT ePrints as well as the number of downloads in the previous 365 days. The count includes downloads for all files if a work has more than one.

ID Code: 70583
Item Type: Conference Paper
Refereed: Yes
Keywords: Construction Safety, RMAA Sector, Game Theoretical Model, Safety Behaviour
ISBN: 9789881731135
Divisions: Current > Schools > School of Civil Engineering & Built Environment
Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Science & Engineering Faculty
Copyright Owner: Copyright 2010 [please consult the author]
Deposited On: 28 Apr 2014 23:18
Last Modified: 18 Jun 2014 04:28

Export: EndNote | Dublin Core | BibTeX

Repository Staff Only: item control page