A review of the effects of sedation on thermoregulation : insights for the cardiac catheterisation laboratory
Conway, Aaron (2016) A review of the effects of sedation on thermoregulation : insights for the cardiac catheterisation laboratory. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 31(3), pp. 226-236.
Administrators only until June 2017 | Request a copy from author
- To examine the effects that the sedative and analgesic medications which are commonly used in the cardiac catheterisation laboratory have on thermoregulation.
- A structured review strategy was used.
- Medline and CINAHL were searched for published studies and reference lists of retrieved studies were scrutinized for further research. Data were extracted using a standardised extraction tool.
- A total of nine studies examined the effect that sedative and analgesic medications have on thermoregulation. Midazolam has minimal impact on thermoregulation while opioids, dexmedetomidine and propofol markedly decrease vasoconstriction and shivering thresholds.
- Patients who receive sedation in the cardiac catheterisation laboratory may be at risk of hypothermia, due to the use of medications that impair thermoregulation. Further research is required to identify the prevalence of unplanned hypothermia during sedation in the cardiac catheterisation laboratory.
Impact and interest:
Citation counts are sourced monthly from and citation databases.
These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science® generally from 1980 onwards.
Citations counts from theindexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.
|Item Type:||Journal Article|
|Keywords:||Hypothermia, sedation, cardiac, thermoregulation, nursing|
|Subjects:||Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > CARDIOVASCULAR MEDICINE AND HAEMATOLOGY (110200)
Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification > MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES (110000) > NURSING (111000)
|Divisions:||Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Faculty of Health
Current > Institutes > Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation
Current > Schools > School of Nursing
|Copyright Owner:||Copyright 2014 Elsevier|
|Copyright Statement:||This is the author’s version of a work that was accepted for publication in Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing. Changes resulting from the publishing process, such as peer review, editing, corrections, structural formatting, and other quality control mechanisms may not be reflected in this document. Changes may have been made to this work since it was submitted for publication. A definitive version was subsequently published in Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing,  DOI:-10.1016/j.jopan.2014.07.016|
|Deposited On:||31 Jul 2014 23:51|
|Last Modified:||10 Jun 2016 14:39|
Repository Staff Only: item control page