Migraine and glutamate: Modulators of glutamatergic signalling as potential treatments of neuropsychiatric disorders

Gasparini, C.F., Smith, R.A., & Griffiths, L.R. (2015) Migraine and glutamate: Modulators of glutamatergic signalling as potential treatments of neuropsychiatric disorders. In Pavlovic, Zoran M. (Ed.) Modulators of Glutamatergic Signalling as Potential Treatments of Neuropsychiatric Disorders. Nova Science Publishers, New York, pp. 65-92.

View at publisher


Migraine is a complex neurological disorder with a well-documented genetic basis. Migraine is a product of allelic variation in genes of neurological, vascular and hormonal origin interacting with environmental triggers. Presentation can include attacks of head pain with symptoms of nausea, emesis, photophobia, phonophobia, and occasionally, visual sensory disturbances, known as aura. Migraine pain is difficult to ignore, associated with a deep sense of malaise and manifests as a throbbing, pulsatile headache, localized to one side of the head that intensifies with physical activity and that can last from 4-72 hours. Migraine is diagnosed according to criteria developed by the International Headache Society (IHS) and is subdivided into two main types based on the occurrence of aura symptoms that may be present in the early stages of the headache: migraine with aura (MA) and migraine without aura (MO). The majority (about 70%) of migraineurs are diagnosed with the MO subtype whilst the remaining 30% experience MA accompanied by neurological symptoms that manifest as fully reversible, visual, sensory and/or dysphasic speech disturbances in conjunction with their headache. Glutamate is the primary excitatory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system (CNS) and over-excitation of glutamate receptors is regarded as a contributing factor, through various mechanisms, to the pathology of migraine. In this chapter we present an overview of the pathophysiology and co-morbidity of migraine with other psychiatric disorders and discuss the role of the glutamatergic system in migraine, its molecular components as potential drug targets, in addition to the current treatments and progress of modulators of glutamatergic signaling.

Impact and interest:

Citation counts are sourced monthly from Scopus and Web of Science® citation databases.

These databases contain citations from different subsets of available publications and different time periods and thus the citation count from each is usually different. Some works are not in either database and no count is displayed. Scopus includes citations from articles published in 1996 onwards, and Web of Science® generally from 1980 onwards.

Citations counts from the Google Scholar™ indexing service can be viewed at the linked Google Scholar™ search.

ID Code: 94398
Item Type: Book Chapter
Keywords: Migraine, glutamate
ISBN: 9781634834933
Divisions: Current > Schools > School of Biomedical Sciences
Current > QUT Faculties and Divisions > Faculty of Health
Current > Institutes > Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation
Deposited On: 05 Apr 2016 05:09
Last Modified: 10 Jul 2016 22:39

Export: EndNote | Dublin Core | BibTeX

Repository Staff Only: item control page